Saturday, October 18, 2008

More Sna-merch, pweeze!



Each stage of childhood is precious and unique in its own way. I know this, nonetheless, each time we enter a new phase of Elijah's or Adah's development, I declare that 'this is simply the most adorable and fun stage of all'.

Then I wish and pray that they would never grow out of it. Alas, they do, and lo and behold, another adorable phase begins.

Elijah has always been quite verbal (at home, anyways). He has a great vocabulary and pretty clear speech for a guy his age. Now at 26 months, we can carry on a conversation and I find myself doing it again: "THIS is the cutest phase of childhood, I just know it! He'll never be as cute as he is now!"

His observations and comments on life and his world are consistently bemusing to Gabe and I.
I've often wished that I was recording these little moments, knowing that I will forget them when this phase passes... all too soon.

So, for posterity's sake, here are a few of my favorite expressions that Elijah uses right now. Let's call this part 1. ( I'm sure I'll think of more:)

" Sna-merch"
his word for sandwich it makes me giggle with motherly glee everytime he's says it.

"Great", "amazing" and "delicious". So sweet when he softly sighs, "great ookit" ( great music) after hearing a song that stirs his little soul."Amazing" and "delicious" just seem like such colorful words for a 2 year old. I just have to laugh when he points out that the really loud motorcycle that just sped past us is "AMAZING!". Or that his "chockit" milk is "dee-yish-iss!"

"Sure do"
As in, "Do you want some apple?" "Sure do!" Sometimes he uses it slightly incorrectly, making it even cuter: " Are you strong?" Him, excitedly, "Sure do!" Or "Are you ready to go home?" Him, wearily, "Sure do." Hearing this one A LOT lately. ( not tired of it yet!)

"Maybe it flew away." He uses this sort of philosophically for things that have unexpectedly disappeared.... the moon behind the clouds, his socks or mommy's car keys. He knows that they haven't really flown away, it's just his way of saying I don't know where they went.

"Favorite", " I love it", "I don't like it"
Favorite and I love it for anything he really wants or is excited about. "Do you want to go to the park?" " My favorite, I love it" (as he dances around wildly). Obviously,"don't like it" for the opposite feeling: "Are you ready for a nap? " Grimacing and whiny, he says each word really sharply, "I. don't. like. it."

"Ryeback"
(right back): Always with his little pointer finger up letting me know he'll only be a minute. Usually used when he's going to get into something that we usually say no to, like, "I go get a cookie. Ryeback." As he says it, he gives us a knowing look that says : "No need to say no, I got it covered, don't worry. I'll be right back with that cookie."

"Home run or safe" Possibly the funniest of all. Ever the sports nut, he uses these sometimes when he trips and falls. As he skids across the floor on his belly after tripping on some bit of chaos left in the wake of his play, he'll look up and declare "sssaafffeee" with all the passion of a major league ump. As if to say, "I didn't just trip, I was sliding into homeplate, thank you very much."

"I don't feenk so" (I don't think so): Used in similar scenarios as I don't like it-- bedtime, potty time, time to come inside. But also for a variety of other situations where displeasure is warranted such as when Adah is crying or Mommy picks out the wrong book.

"Hear that sound?" This child DOES NOT fail to comment on every. single. sound. that he cannot recognize (and most that he can,too) all throughout the day. In the car, at the mall, in the house, at the park... all day long,"What's that sound, mommy? Hear that? Hear that sound??" Its an acorn hitting the top of the car, it's an airplane overhead, a baby crying, the refrigerator humming, a crow in the distance, leaves rustling, shoes squeaking on the floor, the neighbor chopping wood .... on and on. After the 10th or 11th quiz each day, I have to take a moment to remind myself to be grateful for his curiosity and observant spirit.

More of my favorite Elijah-isms soon!

2 comments:

  1. YAY! What a great first post! It made me laugh! Welcome to blog-land!
    miss you, Kelcey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sna-merch!!! I can't get it out of my head, it is sooo darn cute!

    ReplyDelete