Thursday, July 30, 2009

A little vent.


I would love to regale you with some witty or charming story concerning our ever-so fabulous and blog-able lives.

I wish I could display an intricate and compelling bit of art or craft for your viewing pleasure. Oh, and pass it off with an, "Aww, shucks! I just whipped that up in my spare time because I live my life that way: all effortlessly creative and productive every darn moment of the day. What, don't you?".

I wish I had some perfectly un-posed pictures shot from an uncanny angle to demonstrate just how naturally cool and unconventional we are here at Blessed Lessons, in real life.

Alas, my blogging spirit has run dry of late.

I've been trolling the internet too much lately, looking for inspiration for E.'s 3rd birthday party. And I'm stuffed uncomfortably-full with the overly present, wonder-mom bloggers: the amazingly inventive, always positive, organic and wholesome, creative moms who seem to rule the blogosphere; whose efforts to portray an effortlessly, fabulous life leave me with a saccharin taste and my mouth and the feeling that all I do... isn't enough.

Because, truth be told, these wonder-mom types have become to my mothering self-esteem what the fashion magazines are stereotyped for doing to our collective body images... putting up a false front that no one can really sustain day in and out. Ick. Enough, okay?

I try to take these blogs with a grain of salt and remind myself that they are meant to showcase the best of the best. Not the wet beds, the whining and rudeness, the teething, the exhaustion, the late bills, the blow ups and melt downs that mar one's bloggy image. Because one cannot be expected to compete with such mom-errific perfection... I tried, I can't.

I need a bottle of brain bleach and a major dose of self-love for all of my feeble attempts to craft a lovely life, a "in real life", life. I need to forget what all these other moms are doing and be proud of what I'm doing. Yep!

At any rate, I just wanted to pop in and say "hi" to my five faithful readers. Sorry for the rant; don't hold it against me, okay?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Liz, I know how you feel! I've gone through those same rants myself. But I will just say, I know at least 3 mommy-bloggers (soulemama, uncommongrace, and bluebirdbaby, 3 of my fave's!) who specifically blog as a therapy against their depression. I just did a post today about how taking pictures and finding beauty in my life, and then writing about it, is a spiritual practice for me. My blog is like my gratitude journal, and while I do write about more negatives than some of the other blogs out there, I feel like I understand the project that these women are on, of needing a space to reflect on the good things in their life, when the day-to-day often feels so crazy. Anyway, all that to say REAL LIFE DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A BLOG POST! I'm so with you on that!
    Take care (and no need to apologize for the rant!)
    Caren

    ReplyDelete