Thursday, August 30, 2012

Homeschooling: Charlotte Mason Style

One advantage of homeschooling is being able to design the child's education to suit his or her unique mode of learning. This is also advantageous for the parent- educator as they can make allowances for their own style of teaching/learning and for the needs of the family as a whole.

There are many different methods and philosophies of teaching in the home school world. This website outlines them well. Most families pick and choose aspects from different styles, creating a custom course of study that fits them just right. Many families try several different methods over the years until they find the one or the combination that suits them best.

As a brand new homeschooler, I have no idea what's going to work best for our family. By nature, I am a bit scattered and eclectic; wanting to use a little of this style and a little of that style. Unfortunately, I drove myself mad trying to tie them all together into something cohesive that I could actually plan around.  In order to get past my confusion and get started, I found I needed more structure.

After much praying and consideration, I have decided to lean heavily on the Charlotte Mason methodology for our first year of home school. Charlotte Mason was a very well known educator in the late 19th century in England. Ambleside Online offers this terrific summary of Charlotte Mason's approach of education, if you are interested in learning more about how and what she taught. Its easy to see why her methods have inspired home schooling families for generations.

Today, most of the well known methods of home schooling include some parts of her philosophies in their methodology, most notably a reliance upon "living books" for curriculum.  Here is a great explanation of what makes a "living book" and what is the opposite that, something Ms. Mason referred to as "twaddle".

For me, it was the lovely emphasis on God, nature, and "great and noble ideas" in art, literature and science that swayed me to pursue her methods as a backbone in our school. I don't think of myself as a strict devotee of CM; I imagine I will still draw upon other philosophies as we home school through the years. But for now, I am rather enamored with her ways and I want to try to implement many of them in our school.

Take a look at this Formidable List of Attainments for a Child of Six.  This is what Charlotte Mason expected from a six year old studying with her. (Elijah is six). It's so beautiful to me. I would love to say that my six year old could do all of this or some variation on this.

But how on earth do I put these noble goals into practice? Where do I even begin? I need some major hand holding at this stage of my homeschooling life. Fortunately, there are some really amazing resources on the good ol' trusty internet!

Two, in particular, have really shown me how to use her methods. As a HUGE bonus, they have outlined yearly programs for home schoolers to follow. They are Ambleside Online and Simply Charlotte Mason.

Both are great, both follow the CM methodology beautifully and, best of all, are free! They are chocked full of great information. Therefore, you really have to dig in and spend sometime familiarizing yourself with their websites to make the most of what they offer. You cannot hop on there and get a quick overview of what they offer, but what they offer is well worth the time and effort.

They differ, mostly, in the specific books and resources they recommend for the varying subjects. After reading through the CM support sites, I have discovered some respectfully strong opinions about who has the better lineup, Ambleside or SimplyCM. In the end, it seems most CM moms pick and choose from both sites to develop the curriculum that they are most excited about. Which, is what I am going to do, as well. CM is not a book list but a practice. (There are no hard fast requirements about which books to read in CM, other than that be living and not twaddle, as I mentioned before. Therefore, I also plan to add books recommended from Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt and Books Children Love by Elizabeth Wilson to create our reading lists for the year. I am also going to tweak the history and the science recommendations from both sites to suit our family.)

I am also using these wonderful sites devoted CM education to draw upon as I finalize our schedule:

Higher Up Further In
Charlotte Mason Help
A Charlotte Mason Education

After all these months of indecisiveness about what and how to teach, it feels good to have some direction and structure. I pity my husband and my mother who were subjected to many a long, grueling conversation with me as I sorted through all of this. The last step in this process is laying out our schedule exactly. I am putting the finishing touches on it over the next few days and I will post it when I am done! (Some of you may be thinking whoop-di-doo, who cares? For me, this is a way to create some accountability for myself by putting my intentions out there for all the world, all three of you, to see:)

No comments:

Post a Comment