Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Gone too far.

We have many parenting challenges.

One in particular stands out as a real issue for concern- E.'s penchant for running away in public places.

Our concerns are obvious, I'm sure, to any sound adult...
he could run too far,
I might lose sight of him
or him of me,
into traffic,
off a large precipice,
someone could take him, harm him.

As his mother, who loves him beyond all measure,
I will not rest, I will not be satisfied until I know that when I say "STOP",
the child will do so, not run headlong, giggling, in whatever direction I am not.
Can you relate?

If he begins to stray too far while we are out and about, I chirp: "Too far. Stay together."

If he ignores me and runs on, when I catch him,
I will stress with fervor that
God gave me a job when he put you in this family
and part of that job is:
"to do everything in my power to see you to adulthood safe and sound. It is my job to keep you safe and
if you are not with me, you are not safe."

My good friend J. posed an interesting question to me today: What is the Lord trying to teach us through our current parenting challenges?

I asked the Lord to show me and ....

He tenderly moved my heart and in my mind's eye
I saw E. running from me,
I was calling after him but
he ran on and I feared for him:
Why can't he understand that I only want the very best for him? I love him and I want him to in be in perfect peace. Not hurt, lost, scared, confused or worse.

I was convicted...
I am running, I've gone too far.
My Lord, My Good Father
is calling me.
I am dashing, giggling away.
I hear Him,
Come back, child.
If you are not with me, you are not safe.
Come back, child.

I need Him to bring me back, to find me. I am out there, kind of lost.
I have gone astray like a lost sheep;
seek your servant;

for I do not forget your commandments.
Psalm 119:176
I know I have a Savior who not let me remain lost.
Whether you turn to the right or to the left,
your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying,

"This is the way; walk in it."
Isaiah 30:21
He loves me and wants me to be in perfect peace.
You will keep him in perfect peace,
whose mind is stayed on you: because he trusts in you.

Isaiah 26:3
Despite my utter faithlessness, He will always be faithful.
But You O Lord are a compassionate and merciful God,
You are patient,

always faithful and ready to forgive.
Psalm 86:15

Like a child, I am trusting that He will find me right where I am...
kind of lost out here somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment