Friday, March 27, 2009

One more before I take off: E.'s haircut.

Officially, my internet fast begins Sunday. I didn't think I'd have anything to write about between now and then, but today...
Elijah cut his hair!
I was on the phone in his room. One minute he was in there with me, playing, and the next minute he was gone. I didn't think much of it. He's free to roam the house.
But, then I noticed, things were.... quiet.
Mothers of toddlers know to leap into action when things get quiet.
I saw the pile of hair first. Then him.




I know it happens to the best of kids, maybe all kids at some point during childhood. Either they cut their own hair, they get gum stuck in it or something.
A drastic haircut is almost a rite of passage.

Elijah has beautifully curly hair. At the mall today, 2 different people commented about his beautiful curls. Its not uncommon. Here's a good shot of what his hair typically looks like. Cute, right?

I just gave him a great haircut last weekend. You can see in my "humility fail" post his hair had just been cut. A day or two after those pictures were taken, his cute little curls returned.

I have to admit I was bit emotional. I didn't cry, I didn't even come close, but I am sad. I tried to even it all up. It is so short, so uneven, a terrible haircut. It hasn't been this short since he was less than a year old.

I told Gabe he looks like an orphan. He said, "I don't get that... what is that supposed to mean?"
I just meant it looks like no one loves him enough to be bothered with a proper haircut.

I tried not to make him feel self conscientious about the whole thing. After the repair cut, I took him to the bathroom. I said gently, "E. are you ready to see your hair?", trying to prepare him for the shock. He's never seen himself this way, hair so short, curls gone.

I lifted him up to the mirror.
"It's all gone!", he said cheerfully and turned away from the mirror.



He could care less.
My goodness, the total un- self consciousness of this age (or this child, I don't know which).

What he looks like, is so the least of his concerns.

I could learn from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment