Wednesday, September 30, 2009

30 Days of Happiness :: Day 14


Go to the ant, you sluggard!
Consider her ways and be wise,
Which, having no captain,
Overseer or ruler,
Provides her supplies in the summer,
And gathers her food in the harvest.

Proverbs 6:6-8

I kept thinking about these verses as Gabe and I stacked firewood today.

After a mini- tornado whipped down our street in the spring of this year, trees were down for blocks around. Knowing a wood stove is our main source of heat, a kind neighbor gave us two dump trucks full of wood; a pile of trees taller than Gabe, dumped right in our front yard. The massive work of making trees, 3 feet in diameter, fit in a wood stove has, of course, and, as always, fallen to Gabe. Needless to say, we have tremendous amount of wood for this winter. It is great to say that we feel really prepared for what is predicted to be a long, cold winter.

Today, I helped Gabe stack the cut wood. The wood, cut and uncut, is piled high, high on the north side of our house. It is a dank, damp, musty world over there where WAAAAAAYYYY too many slugs, spiders, pill bugs and earthworms for my taste. Also: slime, mold, muck and guck. But, you know what? Anything for my man, anything for my man. I stuck my hands into the yuck and I got up close and personal with some slugs.

What has been cut and stacked is about 2.5, maybe 3 cords. We still have at least that much, probably more yet to be cut.


A small portion of what still needs to but cut.


Oh yeah, there was this guy, too.





1 comment:

  1. gettin' down and dirty~ oh yeah!
    (looks great. and toasty)

    ReplyDelete